Saturday, August 05, 2006

It Has Come To This

Instant coffee.

Desperation conquers pride in all situations eventually.

Linda and I were wide awake again at 3am. We shared whispering words for a while until I finally got up and melted coffee crystals in hot water. I think it is the best java we’ve had in China.

I read this verse this morning: “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.” At face value it seems a bit obvious…maybe even silly sounding. Yet the Apostle Paul’s statement packs a powerful punch for the person willing to get introspective and honest with himself. Whatever words we choose to use (bondage, slavery, etc.), there are many forms of non-freedom in the world. Looking around the streets of Nanchang it is certainly visible here.

As Linda visited with our guide yesterday, Sally asked about the name we have chosen for our daughter – Ming Mei Ruth. Linda told her that we wanted to do two things: 1) preserve her Chinese heritage; and 2) give her a Bible name. Linda explained that it was Ruth in the Bible who said, “Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God.” Though Linda didn’t go so far as to say it to Sally, we recognize that Ming is coming from a land that is overwhelmingly void of worship of the One True God, and she is coming to our home where God Almighty is served.

Yet Linda didn’t leave it out there at a distance with Sally either. When Sally explained that in China they have many gods, Linda inquired about which one she served. “None of them, really,” replied Sally, “unless I need help then I might cry out to one that I think can help me.” Linda explained that we are Christians, to which Sally responded: “I have met Christians, and they have really good hearts.”

As you think of us this week, say a prayer for Sally…that she will see the Living God in our lives as we endeavor to be salt and light to her.

No comments: