Thursday, August 10, 2006

Silver Lining In A Dark Cloud

Last night when we arrived back at the hotel from the long journey to and from the orphanage, I wasn't feeling very well. My stomach was very unsettled. Our lunch yesterday was hosted by the orphanage at a local restaurant. It was much less 'tidy' than the other Chinese restaurants at which we had dined. At first feeling, I thought my upset tummy was a result of the long bumpy ride. Soon I learned otherwise. I'll spare my readers the full set of details, but the short description is that I got really sick. No, make that Really Sick. I had a horrible night, and have been down for the count all day. Although I did make it down to the hotel lobby for a few minutes of sitting very quietly, I haven't been outside at all. And I've had not much more to eat than a little bran, a few sunflower seeds, and a couple of bites of cheese pizza tonight. Just now I'm finally getting some strength back.
It's been a rough way to facilitate some Mommy/Ming time, but I think it has worked. Linda has had some nice 24 hour exposure to Ming, and the baby is responding well. Linda appears to have taken a more playful approach with Ming rather than a huggy/kissy strategy. It is working...and it seems to be leading to some hugs and kisses along the way too.
Ming is getting more chipper and playful each day. She is quite active and vocal too. We enjoy her cooing, gurgling, and the frequent "war whoops" that she enjoys doing since Linda taught her. Guide Sally said that she can tell that Ming is getting happier each day...it's nice to get that affirmation from an outsider.

One thing that has pleased us very much has been Ming's motor skills and muscle strength. Because we had read a lot about the possibility of our baby being behind in her development skills, it has been nice to see how well she does in this area. She easily feeds herself Cheerios (and anything else we give her to eat); she holds things without problems; and she rolls around with ease. I'm sure she'll be fully crawling and then walking in no time.

No comments: