Saturday, August 05, 2006

Out About Town

I shaved my head on my first day in China - took what little was left all the way off. Linda and Levi were really surprised when I walked out of the bathroom after a shower. I had told them I was going to do it, but I don't think they believed me. People stare without shame when we're walking around the town. I don't know for sure, but I have a crazy feeling that it is because A) they think I am a American rock star; or B) they have mistaken me for Michael Jordan; or C) the lovely blond lady hanging out with me is a more stunning woman than they've seen in Nanchang in a while.

Today I went out looking for a microphone for my computer. I decided that using Skype (www.skype.com) computer-to-phone is the most economical way to make phone calls. As I stood at the electronics counter on the 4th floor of a huge Macys-like department store, I had three little Chinese gals trying to communicate with me. Our hand motions were a true game of charades as they tried to sell me just about everything from a tape recorder to headphones. Finally one of the girls-in a stroke of brilliance-grabbed an electronic translator out of the display case and put batteries in it. I typed 'microphone' and when the girl pushed the translate button, in unison they all went "ahhhh."

We've seen numerous adoptive parents at the hotel in our short time here. This morning while we ate breakfast we saw a bittersweet sight. It was a young Chinese girl, probably 5 or 6 years, who had obviously been adopted by an older couple...50-ish. From their dress and features, they looked like they were probably from Europe. The little Chinese girl was not cooperating with them. She wasn't interested in going into the restaurant and she was resisting vocally and by running away. Finally the new father picked her up as she went into that go-limp-then-thrash-around routine. We could tell that the people were frustrated. Better days are coming, I'm sure. But they are facing the hard realities of adoption - especially with older kids. Even with 1 year olds there can be a fair amount of separation anxiety and grieving. A lot of folks, with all their exictment and romanticism, think that their new family member will immediately return the affection that the parents are so willing to give to the child. It's not always a fairy tale situation at first, but we're told that it just takes a little time.

No comments: