Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Oh The Sweet Pain Of Rejection!

From a new adoptive mother in China: I could post a dozen photos of my precious little Ming with the look of anxiety on her face while in her mother’s arms. Who would have guessed that she would have bonded quicker with her BaBa?!! (Chinese for Daddy). Actually, Tim has such a gentle way with her, it’s no wonder she feels so safe with him. Nevertheless, it has been a bit emotionally challenging for someone who was born to nurture.

Ming has been a very perceptive little girl. When I hold her close to me, she will push away to get a good look at which stranger is loving on her. I am convinced that when she sees all that blonde bushy hair she suspects me to be an alien from another planet. I’m very different from her Chinese nannies. I’m now playing the role Tim has played over the last 19 years with all three sons and even our dog…the role of being second fiddle (actually third in this case because Ming likes Levi so much). I am making progress though. She has no problem letting me feed her. She has a BIG problem with me changing her diaper (but she has no choice in the matter). And today we actually had fun playing “war whoop” noises with our hands on our mouths while on a seven and a half hour bus ride to and from the orphanage - 4.5 hours going and 3 coming home. This role reversal ain’t easy!

Tim has reminded me that soon she will be crying when I leave the room and in just months she’ll be imitating all those “girl” things that I do. My prayer is that she will be drawn to the same Lord that I love. What a wonderful Lord we serve to bring us a daughter from thousands of miles away. Only He has the heart and compassion to do such amazing things as this! I am also reminded that even though we rejected Him, Christ died for us. What a great lesson I am again learning of God’s unconditional love!

No comments: