Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The Second Day Sun Has Set

We're settling down here in China for another night's sleep. This was our second full day with Ming, yet it seems like we've had her for much longer than that. She's getting familiar with us, and we have fallen completely in love with her. I can't help but sit and stare at her and think about how precious she is. What a gift. What a blessing.

She's turning into just a little too much of a Daddy's Girl for Mommy's liking sometimes. They say that the baby will often bond with one parent more than the other in the early days. As much as I wanted that to be Linda, it's turned out to be me. And I like it. It's not that she totally ignores Linda, but she always wants me to hold her. Linda is the one who feeds her, and takes care of most of the necessities, but she tends to whimper for me if I'm in sight while Linda is holding her. This afternoon she was fussing while Linda was holding her, so she handed Ming off to me. Ming grabbed me, hung on tightly, then turned to give Linda one of those smug little Chinese baby looks. They also say that it is very common as early as the second week to have the baby suddenly find a bond with the other parent and leave the first one behind. I told Linda that this will probably happen just before we get on the plane for the l o n g ride home. ;-)

Baby Ming does well with Levi. I think he's probably number two in the pecking order right now. He is so good with her, and has been such a helpful blessing to have on this trip with us. He has been very mature as he has interacted with the adults too. And he's learned to enjoy Chinese food!

I know that Linda's day is coming. It might take a week or two, but she'll win Ming's whole heart and we will all have a hard time getting attention from Ming when that happens. Because let's face it...to know Linda is to love Linda. I don't know a kid on planet Earth who doesn't find joy in being around Mrs. Szym.

Speaking of Linda, make sure that you tune in tomorrow to get a perspective from Linda on the blog. She's going to write and share her thoughts and emotions about this exciting journey and the gift of a daughter.

Also, I've added some new photos on my Webshots page. Click the link on the right to see some of our second day pictures.

No comments: